There seems to be a lot of development taking place in and around Jupiter. Some fear that the town is suddenly growing and will lose its small town charm. However, according to Stephanie Thoburn, assistant director of planning and zoning in Jupiter, much of the construction currently taking place in Jupiter has been in the planning stage for quite a few years. Some had been put on hold because of the recession. Now that the economy is in recovery, and growth has resumed, the town is having a mini-building boom. And because Jupiter is at 90 percent buildout much of the of the permitting is for redevelopment of existing commercial properties. It is primarily planned revitalization.
The most ambitious project, Harbourside Place at Riverwalk, has been designated Jupiter’s town center and will give the Town a sense of identity. As the focal point of the Town’s 2.5 mile Riverwalk project, the Harbourside Place will provide the community and its citizens a place to work, shop, socialize, dine and enjoy the Intracoastal Waterway with its public boat slips, over 1,000 foot Riverwalk promenade with benches and decorative lighting.
The Wyndham Grand Jupiter anchors Harbourside on the south and offers 15,000 sq. ft. of meeting and event space including a 5,000 sq. ft. ballroom with breathtaking views from the Mangrove Deck. Ideal for weddings and special events. The 4-star hotel has 170 guest rooms and is accepting reservations for stays beginning Oct. 15. Grand opening rates, valid for travel Oct. 15 through 31, are priced from $179 per room, per night.
Harbourside is scheduled to open in Fall of 2014.
Some other projects Jupiter include:
- Walmart, located just is spending about $12 million to add a grocery store and boost the 128,000-square-foot building. Store is open while under construction.
- Cinépolis Luxury Cinemas, the renovation of the former Paragon Jupiter Cinema on U.S. 1 on Indiantown Road across from Harbourside, plans to open in November.
- The Fresh Market opened in May in Fisherman’s Wharf shopping center on the north side of Indiantown Road, between Alternate A1A and the Intracoastal Waterway.
- A new Chipotle restaurant opened last month in the Chasewood Plaza on the southeast corner of Indiantown Road and Central Blvd.
- A Hurricane Grill & Wings restaurant plans to open in the same plaza.
- Lakewood, a 275-unit residential development on 260 vacant acres on the northwest corner of Indiantown Road and Florida’s Turnpike, was approved by the Jupiter town council in July. Plans for the gated community call for a 5,000-square-foot restaurant, 150,000 square feet of biotech and a 15,000-square-foot pharmacy. Construction is expected to begin early next year.
- Mangrove Bay, a 104 unit multifamily building located at the intersection of Sea Breeze Circle and U.S. Highway One, is under construction.
- Construction is expected to begin by early next year for the Boyd Medical two-story building on the northwest corner of Indiantown Road and North Hepburn Avenue. The current 5,000-square-foot office building will be demolished and replaced by the new 8,400-square foot building on the half-acre parcel.
- The Maltz Jupiter Theatre at the northwest corner of Indiantown Road and A1A is completing about $2.5 million in renovations to add seating and upgrade the former Burt Reynolds Dinner Theatre.
- Barcelona s a 351 unit residential apartments and future commercial development is currently under construction at Military Trail across from the Post Office.
- Bluffs Marina’s site plan has been amended to expand the marina by adding new yacht slips, increasing the size of the new dock master building, adding new private tender slips, accessory boatlifts, pilings and additional parking spaces, located on a 14.6± acre property at 1320 Tidal Pointe Boulevard.
- Abacoa Town Center Phase IV A mixed use project consisting of 287 multifamily units with 17 commercial loft units (which may be used as residential until demand is achieved for the commercial) located east of Parkside Drive and south of Cades Bay Avenue is under construction.
- Villa Diamante is 20-unit residential duplex development on will be built on 216 Old Jupiter Beach Rd.